Thinking about a paid PR internship? Applications now open!
14 Jun 2019 -
Paid internship – Four-month fixed term contract, full-time based in Bethnal Green, London
Are you looking for your first step into the PR industry? Do you want to gain valuable insight and experience in public relations? Are you passionate about culture and entertainment? Riot Communications is seeking enthusiastic and energetic self-starters to assist our team.
About Riot Communications:
Riot specialises in culture and entertainment PR because, like our clients, we want to make a positive impact in the world. We are purpose and integrity driven: we passionately believe that both culture and entertainment help promote empathy, creativity, respect for others and joy. We are guided by the four principles of the Riot ethos: intelligence, passion, collaboration and disruption which drives everything we do: from the clients we choose to work with, how we deliver our work and who we hire.
We work with some of the best creatives in the world – writers, artists, actors and visionaries. Clients include Penguin Random House, Mammoth Screen, DeepMind, Gutsy Animation, Moomin Characters, The Astrid Lindgren Company, London Review of Books, William Hill, and the Royal Society. Recent work includes: hosting A-list talent such as Jennifer Saunders, Taron Egerton and Rosamund Pike at the world premiere of Moominvalley in Finland; securing Stormzy for the annual #PenguinPresents showcase at the London Palladium; masterminding the launch of the new book by the legendary Philip Pullman; getting more kids into science promoting the annual Christmas Lectures which are broadcast on the BBC; and finding the most exciting new fiction voice of the year. Our agency is growing, particularly in children’s entertainment brands, TV, events and design.
We actively support BME PR Pros, the Taylor Bennett Foundation and Women in PR because…well, if it needs to be explained, we are probably not the right agency for you.
About the role:
You will be assisting the team in general administrative duties to help support the smooth running of the office, as well as assisting the team on the execution of various PR campaigns as required. You will receive on-the-job training, the responsibility and opportunity to help run an office and deliver projects and a one-to-one line manager to help guide your development.
Examples of office administration responsibilities:
- Answering phone calls politely and promptly – dealing with enquiries, message taking
- Managing post efficiently – incoming and out-going
- Accurately booking couriers, travel and accommodation for team members and clients when required
- Co-ordinating mailings
- Using Microsoft office packages, Dropbox and other pieces of administrative software
- Booking meeting rooms and providing refreshments, setting up AV equipment
- Distributing newspapers among the team
- Ordering and managing office supplies
- Creating timesheet reports
Examples of campaigns support responsibilities:
- Co-ordinating mailings and producing mailing lists using our media database
- Working with the team to create, co-ordinate and execute social media campaigns
- General copywriting tasks including press release creation with support from senior team members
- Press release distribution – mailing of press releases to relevant individuals and outlets
- Liaising with clients where appropriate
- Pitching to journalists where appropriate
- Attending campaign project meetings
- Keeping project meeting agendas and taking meeting minutes as appropriate
- Event management – organising event logistics including for example venue hire, invite lists and mailings, photographers, taxi bookings
You will have a clear idea of what PR is, why you want to work in this industry and what you can bring to it. You will be a highly motivated, passionate, curious and solutions oriented individual; have exceptional attention to detail; have outstanding multi-tasking skills; be super organised and dependable and have a proactive, can-do approach. You will be unafraid of hard work and mucking in and will enjoy the challenge of working in a fast-paced, creative environment. You will have a natural curiosity for the media and be interested in the ways brands harness consumer trends, culture and current affairs to communicate and influence customers. You will be a digital native and feel very comfortable running social media accounts, for example.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Organisational skills
- Communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft packages and Dropbox
- Excellent command of written and oral English
The selection process:
We are seeking creative individuals with an ambition to succeed in the PR industry. Your enthusiasm for working at Riot Communications, your flair, can-do attitude and strong work ethic will be evident in your application. You don’t have to have attended University but if you haven’t completed any higher education you will have at least two years of work experience in a professional setting.
Interviews will take place at our offices in Bethnal Green. Only candidates invited to interview will receive a reply.
To apply please send us 350 words about a recent PR campaign that has caught your attention and why you felt it was effective or not, along with your CV and a short covering letter to email@example.com. Please include ‘Application for Internship’ in the subject header.
Deadline for applications is 5pm, Friday 5th July 2019. Applicants should be available to start the internship towards the end of July 2019.
Summary of main terms and conditions:
Job title: Intern
Location: Riot Communications, Studio 113, The Pill Box, 115 Coventry Road, Bethnal Green, London, E2 6GG
Hours: Full time 9.30 to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Very occasionally there could be weekend work in which case we offer paid time off in lieu
Holiday: 25 days pro rata plus bank holidays
Salary: £17,000 pro rata